Tuesday, April 24, 2007

A man with his rod in his hands

Esmerelda taught me you have to hook them with the title.

So yesterday I returned to something I hadn't done in years. Fishing. It was quiet refreshing and during a time of my life where I am not sure which way is up, it provided a nice escape from reality. It was a guy trip, something put together by people I work with and I tagged along. Cooler packed with beer and a buddy carrying the other end, we boarded our boat "Worm"

There were 12 of us and we passed the time quoting movies, drinking beers and when the unfortunate Striper would clamp down on a lure, reeling in a 35 inch fish. Salt spray in you face, the sun on your arms and not in the office. Since fishing was slow I kept to my mantra "A bad day on the water is still better than a good day at work."

I still remember going fishing with my brother in Vienna, VA. We would have to ask one of the people that lived around the pond permission before throwing our hooks out baited with a mixture of bread and cheese. Our hopes were to catch anything, but the time out there was an event in itself. I college I also did some fishing going as far as buying my own rod and reel. Its one of those things you do and wonder why you don't do it more often.

I returned home at 1100 pm. A long day. I could still smell the blend of Coppertone, fish, and salt on my body. I crawled into bed, my face still hot from the wind and sun taking its toll on it.
I told Pittsburghbeauty about my day. She was happy to hear me like that, it had been a while since she had heard me so relaxed (not since the drunkfest after kickball).

Isn't it amazing that our charter boats captain actually gets the privilege of being on the ocean all day, fishing and boating and calls that his job. What I wouldn't do to have that opportunity.

I wonder if he has room for a deckhand with little fishing experience but lots of time.

No comments: