Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I used to be that guy....

You'll know who I am talking about. The one that was always found on the soccer field, tennis court or cul de sac. Cul de Sac was the best. Home to tennis baseball, Frisbee, Ghost in the Graveyard, kick the can...well you get the picture. I was never inside and my summers were spent with my smelling like a mixture of sweat, grass and suntan lotion (placed on me against my will by mother.)
But now, I find myself with a little more weight on my frame and a lot more gray on my head. What has become of that 32 waist and ribcage. What seems like overnight it has been replaced by my fathers waist and enough fat on my belly to keep a family of bears fed throughout any hibernation.
I know I know..."Well why don't you work out?" Because it is so boring. Everything I have ever done has been a team sport. The idea of competing with or against someone is what drives me. Even in my everyday occurrences I gauge myself to those around me. "If I take a right at this light, I can probably beat him to Rt. 175." "I'm sure that when that light turns green I'll beat you off the line." "I bet I can make you laugh." I have to compete its who I am, whats the point if you are just going through the motions. THERE HAS TO BE A WINNER.
That being said....I'm a soccer coach for 14 year old boys and i don't institute my Darwinian train of thought on them...I do the old "We're out here to have fun....but you know what fun? Winning." The soccer pitch was my domain. But now these 14 year old boys run circles around me. My mind knows what to do, but my body laughs and says...you really think I can do that?
Alas, I'll keep playing kickball and get my rush from there.

Until then, I bet I can be first to hit Publish.

2 comments:

Esmerelda said...

You just have to find other ways to compete. Ways to challenge yourself beyond your limits. Like a triathlon.

Kickball needs you.

X said...

Du-ude! You are 33 (right?) not 53! Get up off the couch while all your body parts still work!

My boss is 32, and he is training for the Chicago Marathon. I'm helping him get his time down by running local 5K and 10Ks. Great way to start!

BTW, since you seem ridiculously competitive, as he is, here's a fun toy. Go out and pick up an iPod nano, a pair of Nikes and the Nike sports kit to link the two together. My boss has a bunch of friends in Chicago and Atlanta that are training for the marathon with him. They challenge each other every week online through the Nike + iPod website...but you can challenge random people you don't know on there too:)

Pretty cool stuff BN!